fred8a.jpg

Brief History of Fort Frederick.

Washington County, Maryland

Fort Frederick was built in 1756-57 by the colony of Maryland. During the French and Indian War in 1756, a £6000 appropriation was authorized by the Maryland Legislature at the request of Governor Horatio Sharpe to build a fortification on the frontier. The fort, named after Frederick Calvert, 6th Baron Baltimore, was completed the following year. The design of the fort conforms to the style developed early in the 18th century by Sebastien de Vauban, a French military engineer who is considered the father of modern fortification.
The large stone fort was designed primarily as a place of refuge for area settlers. Between 1757 and 1758, small raids by Indians in nearby settlements caused settlers in the surrounding countryside to flee eastward. At the same time men of the 60th Regiment of Foot and local militia soldiers garrisoned the fort. Ranging parties were sent from the fort to patrol the area and to deter if not prevent Indian raids.
The fort was not designed to resist artillery, as it was correctly assumed that the French would not be able to transport artillery to the remote location from the west. The fort served its purpose in 1763 during Pontiac's Rebellion; however, the fort was never directly attacked.

During the French and Indian War , British Military rations contained enough food energy  to sustain the soldier in garrison but suffered from a lack of vitamins that could lead to nutritional deficiencies if not supplemented by the soldiers themselves through garden produce or purchase. During field conditions, the energy content tended to be too small. Colonial rations for provincial troops generally had a higher energy content.

The regular army was provisioned according to victualing acts enacted by the British Parliament. During the French and Indian War  the daily allowance was as follows:

Bread or Hardtack: 1 pound/450 grams
Meat: 1 pound/450 grams
Salt Pork : 9 1/7 ounce/ 260 grams
Butter: 6/7 ounce/85 grams
Peas: 3/7 pint/25 centiliters
Rice or oatmeal: 11/7 pint 85 centiliters

fred3.jpg
fred5.jpg
fred7.jpg

We want to thank Historic Fort Frederick for the honor of adding our FAUX COOKERY to their ever growing interpretive programs.   This is just the beginning, there is more FAUX COOKERY in the works and we are looking forward to future projects.

Click on icons below to visit Historic Fort Frederick or The Friends of Fort Frederick.

MSTMyqaU_400x400.jpg
fort frederick flag.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 10.02.12 PM.png

The Conococheague Institute

Franklin County, Pennsylvania

Rock Hill Farm (the core of the Conococheague Institute) has been inhabited since 1736. In that year John Davis (born in Philadelphia but of Welsh Descent), acquired 889 acres along the Welsh Run. This frontier of Pennsylvania was heavily settled by Welsh Communities and by the 1780’s the area had grown from subsistence farming to a commercial farming community with connecting wagon roads, first mills and boat transportation down the Conococheague Creek to the Potomac and on to Alexandria VA.
The frontier during the mid-18th Century saw Indian raids, struggles and even in frontier communities there was inequity. The Davis family though not wealthy owned many slaves who worked their lands.
Throughout the centuries subsequent generations would see it owned by English, Scots Irish, German Brethren making it a microcosm of America's Melting pot.
Today The Conococheague Institute serves as a Hands-on Regional Learning Center with a mission to develop and foster awareness, understanding, and stewardship of the cultural and natural history of the Appalachian frontier of Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Virginia.
With 30 acres of beautiful Natural Resources, and several Historic Structures it does this is a number of ways, but one of the best is Living History.
Living History is a great tool for education and can be used for diverse subjects, but nothing unites people of every time period like food and cooking! Using our recreated Cabin and Ordinary, and nearby garden, visitors can watch meals prepared from Garden to Table, cooked in the hearth, outside on a spit, or in a Bake Oven.
Faux Cookery’s work completes the look of a room that is lived in, and makes displays of Tableware standout. With recipes and items researched and sourced from original images, the Meat Pies, Game Hens, and Hanging Sausages in the Ordinary are a wonderful addition to a room that would always be filled with life.

conococheague2a_orig.jpg

CI recreating FAUX COOKERY’s art in edible form.
You can learn more and see cooking in action at CI's Youtube  and Facebook

conococheaguelogo-withtitle_orig.png
conococheague12a_orig.jpg

Entertainment by J. Davis,
interpreting the importance of 18th Century Taverns at the Conococheague Institute.

conococheague15a.jpg
conococheague14_orig.jpg

A board laden with Tavern Fare of Game Hen, Pasty and Pork pie created by FAUX COOKERY.

conococheague4a_orig.jpg

Basic fare of Bread and Sausage
created by FAUX COOKERY

Tryon-Palace-New-Bern-NC-2.jpg

Tryon Palace

New Bern, North Carolina

Located in New Bern, North Carolina, the palace was often at the center of state occasions and hospitality. The residence was seized by patriot troops in 1775. Shortly after the state capital was relocated to Raleigh in 1792, the main building burned to the ground. A modern recreation faithful to the original architect's plans and some period appropriate support structures were erected on the site in the 1950s and opened to the public in 1959. The palace garden was also recreated, with 16 acres (6.5 ha) of plantings, representing three centuries of landscape and gardening heritage. Today, the palace is a state historic site.

tryon food4b.jpg
tryon food6a.jpg
tryon food7a.jpg

This spread of historic faux food graced the tables at Tryon Palace for Christmas 2021. 

tryon food6b.jpg
tryon food1a.jpg
FCH.png